cori's adventures of oral fun

my fun times (hopefully lasting less than 2 years) of the orthodontic and surgical correction of my open bite, crossbite and slight overjet. sickos! what did you think it was about???

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

so my new oral surgeon smokes crack... (15 weeks, 3 1/2 months)

went in for a consult yesterday early morning with new oral surgeon, dr. keane. he was very nice, i liked him alot, he answered all of my questions (and seemed impressed by some of them), was a good time. towards the end of my questions i asked him (with the uncertainty from dr. hobday's statement of, 'WAY ahead' ringing in my ears...). 'so, how close would you say i am to being ready?' i wasn't expecting much for an answer and i got what i expected. he laughed and said, 'well, i'm not the orthodontist, i can't really tell you that one. but, things do look aligned and leveled.' eh. oh well. asked some more questions and then i asked, 'so... i know you can't give me a real answer but, i have approved for surgery, dr. rahimi's office sent in a pre-auth and it was approved, so i know i am approved for surgery. i would like to get this done with by the end of the year so i don't have to worry about my husband's insurance changing or the company changing providers all together and suddenly i'm not covered. is there ANY chance we can get this done this year, or is this DEFINITELY next year?' and he said, 'oh, totally this year. yeah, no problem with that. how does october sound? then you would be healed up for the holidays.'

WHAT?!?

he took a panoramic x-ray and a profile of my skull x-ray and i was off on my way to work.

but then i spent all day in a fog. OCTOBER?!? how? wow! that would be AMAZING!

i don't even go in to the ortho until sept. 22nd... how is that possible??? so this morning i called dr. hobday's office and said, 'hi! so i've changed oral surgeons and dr. keane seems to think that i could be ready in october?!? but i don't even see dr. hobday again until sept 22nd... so...' the ortho chick was beyond nice, she took my message and offered to fax my chart over to dr. hobday (he's in the champlin office for the morning) although he'll be in the MG office this afternoon. i told her that this afternoon is fine. so he'll look things over and either he will give me a call, or an assistant will give me a call to let me know what is up.

i don't know how i could be ready in october unless dr. hobday gets on board and i start going in more frequently. and i thought that you had to stabilize in your braces for some time before you could do surgery... ???

UPDATE - the ortho lady called back. apparently dr. hobday does think that this is slightly agressive and i will not be ready by october. she did say that i MAY be able to do it this year, and that the fact that i do want it done this year is in my chart (because that means what???). so that is where we are at right now...

i'll keep you updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home